Have you ever eaten a corn muffin so dry that your tongue felt like it licked the sand dunes of the Sahara Desert? In this post, we'll show you how to make Jumbo Corn Muffins that are actually moist! Our muffins are made with stone-ground cornmeal, honey, and other common pantry ingredients.
If you like bakery style jumbo corn muffins, you'll love this recipe!
Before starting this recipe, you'll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
Stone Ground Cornmeal
It's important that you use stone-ground cornmeal and not finely milled cornmeal or cornflour. The coarseness of stone-ground cornmeal gives these muffins their traditional texture.
Honey is used along with white granulated sugar to add just the right amount of sweetness to the muffins. You can use raw or clover style honey- just be sure it is a pure variety.
The Following Common Ingredients
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- unsalted butter
- large eggs
- whole milk
- vegetable oil
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- 6-count Jumbo Muffin Tin - You could also use a 12-count standard sized tin.
- Jumbo cupcake liners - Recommended to prevent sticking.
- Large mixing bowl - For mixing the dry ingredients and combining the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Medium mixing bowl - For mixing the wet ingredients.
- Electric Hand Mixer or Wooden Spoon - To mix the ingredients.
- Ice Cream scoop - Used to scoop the batter into the muffin tin.
- Spoon - Used to spoon the wet ingredients into the dry mix.
- Whisk - to combine the dry ingredients.
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your corn muffins come out perfectly.
Mix the Dry and Wet Ingredients Separately
In the large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt until they're fully mixed.
Soften the butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
In a separate bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar first. While mixing with a hand mixer or wooden spoon, add the milk, vegetable oil, and one egg at a time.
Spoon the Wet Ingredients into the Dry Ingredients
Spoon the wet ingredients into the dry batter and mix until the batter is light and fluffy. They key is to add a spoonful at a time while mixing to incorporate the ingredients better.
Make sure to spray your muffin tin with nonstick baking spray before adding batter if you are not using liners. Jumbo corn muffins need to be baked longer than regular size corn muffins. Bake them at 350°F for 18 - 20 minutes.
Before removing them from the oven, insert a toothpick into the center of one of the muffins. It should be clean when removed. If not, keep baking at 350°F for additional time until it comes out clean. Keep checking every 2 minutes.
These corn muffins can be stored at room temperature or frozen.
These muffins can be stored at room temperature for about 3 - 4 days. Just be sure to keep them inside an airtight container or wrap them in plastic.
Corn muffins can be stored frozen for up to 30 days. Place them inside an airtight freezer bag or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap before placing them in the freezer.
Reheating a frozen muffin can be done by allowing it to defrost at room temperature for several hours. Overnight works best for this method.
Alternatively, you can microwave them for 1 minute and 30 seconds - 2 minutes (or until fully defrosted and warm).
Follow the recipe below to make our amazingly moist Jumbo Corn Muffins! This recipe makes 6 muffins, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Bakery Style Cornbread Muffins
- 6 count jumbo muffin tin
- large mixing bowl
- medium mixing bowl
- Hand Mixer
- ice cream scoop
- baking spray
- ⅔ cup stone ground corn meal
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Make sure your oven rack is in the center position.
- Prepare the jumbo muffin tin with 6 liners.
- Whisk together the flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bow, add softened butter (which you can soften in the microwave about 10-15 seconds medium-power) and sugar. Add in the milk, oil, honey, and one egg at a time. Use a hand mixer, or wooden spoon to combine.
- Spoon the wet batter into the dry batter, and combine until light and fluffy. Using a large ice cream scoop, fill each muffin liner ¾ way with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin should come out clean.
Most online recipes never work out for me, this one certainly did. It is moist as promised. Even beats Dunkin' donuts and commercial bakeries Which only get their delicious taste from all the chemicals And Processing. I'm baking it to feed my baby healthier breakfast, So I don't have to feed him store bought with preservatives. He absolutely loved it and hes the pickiest eater ever. Thank you