These super moist muffins are loaded with delicious ripe banana flavor and topped with a generous swirl of creamy hazelnut spread. Nutella Banana Muffins make an excellent breakfast or snack for anyone who loves chocolate & banana flavored baked goods.
If you're looking for the best recipe to use up your ripe bananas, you've come to the right place! These moist, dense muffins have all the sweet, fruity flavor of ripened bananas paired with a decadent swirl of Nutella.
Before starting this recipe, you'll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Butter - Adds moisture and flavor–only use unsalted for this recipe.
- Eggs - Binds the ingredients together and adds moisture.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar adds extra sweetness to the overall muffin.
- Vanilla extract - Used in most baked goods and adds a hint of flavor. A little goes a long way.
- Bananas - Ripe bananas are wonderful to bake with and provide a rich, fruity flavor to baked goods as well as moisture.
- Wheat Flour - This recipe has extra body with a combo of wheat and white flour.
- Unbleached Flour - I prefer to bake with unbleached flour. This helps to balance the “wheaty” flavor.
- Baking Powder - This helps your muffins to rise and fluff up. Always make sure you are using fresh baking powder. Be sure to change it out every year.
- Salt - This helps to enhance the flavors in your muffins and balance the flavors. A little goes a long way to get the job done right.
- Nutella - The star of the show, this hazelnut spread offer a pretty look and delicious flavor. The Nutella bakes up slightly crispy on the outside and pairs perfectly with the banana.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- Hand Mixer - To combine the batter.
- Large & medium bowl - To mix the wet and dry batters.
- Whisk - To incorporate the dry ingredients.
- Potato masher - Helps to mash the ripe bananas.
- Silicone muffin pan - You can use a traditional muffin tin, but these pop out nicely in this type of pan.
- Spoon - To add the Nutella to each muffin top.
- Large BBQ skewer - To swirl the Nutella onto the muffin tops.
- Oven - Adjust rack to the center position to bake these muffins.
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your Nutella Swirl Muffins come out perfectly.
If you only have unbleached flour and prefer to not use whole wheat flour, you can easily do that by using 2 leveled cups of unbleached flour. Alternatively, you can also use 100% whole wheat or Ivory wheat flour to make these.
They will have a slightly bitter, “wheaty” taste though. Personally, I am not a huge fan of 100% whole wheat baked goods and neither are my children.
If you want double chocolate, you can add in ¾ cup of chocolate chips to your batter. Make sure to add them last and gently fold them into the raw batter before adding to the muffin tins.
If you prefer nuts, you can add ½ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the mix.
If you want to store your Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins, just follow these easy steps.
These muffins do not need to be refrigerated and will last up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry, place.
- While there is nothing quite satisfying as a warm muffin, sometimes you do not want to have 12 hearty muffins hanging around. In cases like these, I also love to freeze bake goods.
- For these muffins, make sure they are completely cool before adding them to a freezer bag, storage container, or food saver bag. To eat, simply allow them to thaw naturally or pop them in the microwave for 45 seconds to warm.
Follow the recipe below to make Nutella Banana Muffins! This recipe makes 12 muffins, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Banana Nut Muffins
If you're looking for a basic Banana Nut Muffin, this recipe is for you! Check it out for light, fluffy, irresistible muffins.
Nutella Banana Muffins
- silicone muffin pan
- Hand Mixer
- Large & medium mixing bowl
- BBQ skewer
- Ice cream scooper
- 8 tablespoons butter unsalted, 113 grams
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar 150 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas peeled, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 201 grams
- 1 cup unbleached flour 201 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Nutella warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray unless you're using a nonstick silicone muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Once creamed, add in eggs and extract.
- Mash bananas and add them to the sugar and butter mixture, and combine.
- In a smaller bowl whisk the salt, baking powder, and flours.
- Slowly add flours into the wet mixture and whisk by hand making sure to not over mix batter.
- Use an ice cream scooper to add batter to each muffin tin well. You can fill each about 75% of the way.
- Spoon 1 tsp of Nutella onto each muffin. Use a BBQ skewer to swirl spread into a swirl design.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean and batter-free.
- Allow muffins to cool before removing from the muffin tin wells.